The ketogenic diet is a very successful weight loss program. Use high-fat, low-carb ingredients to burn fat instead of glucose. Many people are familiar with the Atkins diet, but the keto plan restricts carbs even more.
Because we are surrounded by fast food restaurants and processed foods, avoiding carbohydrate-rich foods can be challenging, but proper planning can help.
Plan menus and snacks at least a week in advance, so you’re not caught up on just high-carb meal options. Research keto recipes online; there are quite a few good ones to choose from. Dive into the keto lifestyle, find your favorite recipes and stick to them.
There are a few elements that are staples on a ketogenic diet. Make sure you have these items on hand:
- Eggs – Used in tortillas, quiches (yes, heavy cream is keto legal!), Tough as a snack, low carb pizza crust and more; if you like eggs, you have a good chance of success on this diet
- Bacon – I need a reason? breakfast, salad side, burger garnish, BLT (no bun, of course; try a BLT in a bowl, mixed with mayo)
- Cream cheese – Dozens of recipes, pizza crusts, main dishes, desserts.
- Grated cheese – Sprinkle over the taco meat in a bowl, turned into tortilla chips in the microwave, salad dressings, low carb pizza and enchiladas
- Lots of romaine and spinach – Fill yourself with green vegetables; have plenty on hand for a quick salad when you get hungry
- EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sweetener – Use a couple of drops instead of sugar; this artificial sweetener is the most natural and easy to use I have found
- Cauliflower – In fresh or frozen bags you can eat this low carb vegetable on its own, mixed with olive oil and baked, mashed into fake potatoes, minced / grated and used in place of rice under main dishes, on low carb pizza crusts and ketogenic, and much more
- Frozen Chicken Tenders – Have a large bag handy; Quickly defrost and grill, sauté, toss with veggies and top with garlic sauce on a low carb flatbread, use in chicken piccata, chicken alfredo, tacos, enchiladas, Indian butter chicken and more
- Ground beef – Make a large burger and top with all sorts of things from cheese, sauteed mushrooms, roasted onions … or shred and cook with taco dressing and use on provolone cheese tacos; add a plate with lettuce, avocado, cheese, sour cream for a taco salad without a tortilla
- Almonds (plain or flavored) – these are a tasty and healthy snack; however, be sure to count them as you eat, because carbohydrates DO add up. Flavors include habanero, coconut, salt and vinegar and more.
The keto plan is a versatile and interesting way to lose weight, with many delicious food options. Keep these 10 items stored in your fridge, freezer, and pantry, and you’ll be ready to make delicious keto meals and snacks anytime.